Butter cakes are a bit tricky for me – I want to make them, but at the same time I’m never too sure how they will turn out. I’ve had some recipes turn out dry and crumbly and I’ve also had some good cakes that are nice and smooth and smell like a little piece of heaven.
My problem is that I never really save my recipes. They are used once and then totally forgotten – unless it’s a dinner dish or something, then I kind of memorize the recipe (or ask Google in a hurry) and keep making it till I don’t need to think about the ingredient measurement anymore.
This butter cake recipe from GroupRecipes.com – is going to be in my Mailbox for a long, long time. I e-mailed it to myself 🙂
I like a slight fruity zing so I usually add two tablespoons of lemon/orange zest with the juice of one lemon/orange juice as well.
Vanilla Butter Cake
1/2 cup butter,at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs,at room temperature
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 170 C.Position a rack on the second lowest shelf of the oven.
- Butter an 8 inch baking pan. Line base and sides with non-stick baking paper.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the eggs,one at a time;beat after each addition.
- Combine milk and vanilla in a bowl.
- Add flour and milk alternately to beaten mixture;beating till combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan.Let the cake cool completely before icing or frosting.