The bf and I normally don’t cook much with cream sauce as I’m somewhat lactose intolerant. Somewhat meaning that it doesn’t always annoy me; there’s a mysterious quota that I don’t know about, but my tummy does.
However, the bf and I love garlic so we just had to cook this. The best part about this recipe is that it takes 20 minutes to make this delicious dish, provided that you have all the ingredients and they’ve been chopped/prepared.
This is what our final dish looked like:
This is the original recipe. We skipped the garlic powder, replaced cooking sherry with red wine vinegar and added some basil plus Italian spices.
Now that we’ve got that out of the way, here’s what you need:
- 1 medium onion sliced into thin strips
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped finely
- 14 champignon mushrooms chopped into thin slices – the size of mushrooms is tricky to gauge so just enough mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons salted butter – I used unsalted French butter as I added salt later (I also added some olive oil to prevent the butter from burning)
- 1 quart heavy cream – I didn’t feel like measuring how much a quart was (lazy) so I guestimated
- Salt and pepper as needed
- Some chopped basil and Italian spices (optional)
Here’s what you do:
- Cook your gnocchi as per instructions on the packet.
- In a frying pan, fry mushrooms, onions, butter and minced garlic. Add in red wine vinegar.
- Cook until the ingredients are soft and the liquid is reduced by half.
- Add in basil and Italian spices.
- Add in enough cream according to your taste and let it simmer. (Cream must not boil as it may separate.)
- Serve gnocchi with the sauce.