It’s been kind of cold here lately. Cold and windy. It’s not uncomfortable but my skin does take a beating when it’s windy. I get wind chapped lips and then the skin around my chin and mouth starts to peel. I have always had oily skin but for some reason, towards winter, my skin gets drier than ever.
I remember feeling really clueless during my first and second year in Scandinavia. Nowadays I’ve gotten better at knowing when to switch my skincare products to take better care of my skin, according to the seasons.
Here are some of my favourite skin and hair care products that make a world of difference for me.
- Itch-preventing moisturizer: I use E45 for my dry spots to prevent them from becoming itchy. When the cold wind blows on my skin, it really sucks out all the moisture and can be very uncomfortable. Since I’m eczema prone, the E45 cream makes a big difference and helps to heal my eczema.
- Intensive face moisturizer: Some days, during Autumn or Winter, the skin on my chin, eyebrows, and nose will start to peel. It’s really annoying because attempting to apply foundation or tinted moisturizer on those areas is not easy as the brush irritates it even more. To prevent my skin from getting so dry, I usually switch over to Clarins HydraQuench moisturizer during the end of Summer. I start using it at night and as it gets colder, I use it during the day as well. It’s a really good moisturizer but is best purchased at Duty Free outlets 😉
- Delicious chocolate body scrub: I love Body Shop’s Chocomania body scrub. It’s really effective but also contains oils in it so it doesn’t irritate my skin. The scent is amazing and perfect to use on a cold, dark, rainy day. Like drinking a hot chocolate minus the calories.
- Soothing eye cream: I already have wrinkles around my eye area and the last thing I want is to get more of them so I’m very diligent about applying eye cream. This eye cream makes my eye area brighter and the skin look and feel less crepey.
- Balancing cream cleanser: Despite having oily skin, the Origins Checks and Balances cream cleanser cleanses like no other. I use it at least once a day, sometimes with my Clarisonic. I always keep a back up tube in my drawer.
- Soothing hand cream: My hands get really dry in cold weather. Sometimes there will be small tears on the skin and it will sting when they are exposed to warm water. The L’Occitane shea butter hand cream is awesome. If you have dry hands, you should get it.
- Smoothing shampoo: Dry, frizzy, broom-stick like hair is so annoying. I’ve been using the Redken Smoothdown shampoo and conditioner every Autumn and Winter for the past 4 years. I used to buy the bottles in Oslo and then I realized that for the same price of what I pay here, I can get the 1 litre salon-sized version back home. So, that’s what I did this year 🙂
What are your Autumn favourites?